Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Praying for More

Almost a year ago, I finally read Melissa Fay Greene's stunning Praying for Sheetrock (1991), an expose of corruption and racism in a "backwater" Georgia town during the 1970s and 1980s. Not only is Greene a perceptive, brave, lyrical writer, she also was a witness to most of the events, working at Georgia Legal Services and marrying one of the lawyer-heroes. (That her participation is not apparent until the very end of the book makes her balanced retelling all the more admirable.) Reading her work made me not only wish I could write like she can, but also that I could live so admirably.

I've been meaning to read more of her books, and this short interview with Jennifer Reese posted at the NBCC's blog has transformed that intention into the status of a New Year's resolution. Greene's twin pursuits of justice and compassion are what I'd like to see more of in 2007.